Monday 28 March 2016

When it comes to music, I listen mostly to a really weird alternative-indie-folk mix (we can chat if you're interested.) But first I want to tell you about me "discovering" music.

When I was 15, I actually started listening to music. By which I mean, I started paying attention to the lyrics, and to my own tastes. Then suddenly, for the first time in my life, I wanted access to music in a way that hadn't mattered before.

The first thing I did was download everything I had on hard-copy disks to my computer and stick it in iTunes. Then, when I realized that it would be useless to own everything both in hard copy and digitally, I moved on to the iTunes store. And that was great except that at this point I am not financially independent. And believe me, I could easily have blown $100 on albums I was interested in.

Then I put two and two together: the public library has a lot of music to borrow. It's free. It's not that fast when I have to get stuff delivered from other libraries, but the anticipation is actually kind of fun.

I figured there was a chance I wouldn't be allowed to download music from TPL CDs. I thought they might be blocked or protected, but as it turns out, they aren't. I somehow doubt I'm the only person to come up with this idea.

Here's what got me thinking: I don't own that music. But does iTunes? Does the library? Who makes money off this stuff? So I did a little research.

Not that the internet is necessarily the most reliable source, but here's what I found out:

"Right off the top, Apple takes ~$0.30 from that $0.99 sale. Of the $0.69 left, half goes to the label. The other half goes to the publisher once the label's initial investment in the artist has been recouped. Generally speaking, a label invests somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-500k for artists. And with digital sales being what they are these days, that means an artist really only starts getting paid after they've sold nearly half a million downloads." (Quora)

So in theory, yes, by using iTunes I would be "buying" a song and that would be more ethically correct than ripping that song from Youtube or importing a CD from the library. But mostly I would be paying Apple and the record label. In my mind, that's not really okay either. 

I'm not trying to justify my CD-borrowing practices, but at least I know that someone, somewhere, bought that physical object and some of that money went back to the artists. 

This problem doesn't get any simpler the further I wade into the digital world. Let's say I have music in my iTunes library and I use it to make a playlist, which I then burn onto a hard copy disk. Do I have any creative rights to that content? Not really. Even though I am technically in possession of those songs, and I put them on a disk that I can hold in my hands. 

And for the record, the library doesn't have everything I'm looking for, so I will eventually be forced onto iTunes or take up some other illegal measures in order to get my hands on any Anais Mitchell albums other than Child Ballads. 

Sources:
https://www.quora.com/Do-artists-bands-get-the-money-I-spend-on-iTunes

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post! I had no idea that the artist actually makes so little after everything is said and done by purchasing music via iTunes. I always thought I was making the best, ethical choice, since I have also done the same thing as you, burning music onto my computer from borrowed CDs. This is such a complex issue and I have never fully considered the implications before. I kind of miss the simpler days when you had to buy a CD or cassette in order to get the music you wanted. The digital world is amazing for the opportunities we now have to access everything and anything we want, but the boundaries between right and wrong, ownership and usership are so blurred that it now resembles a giant question mark in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I guess iTunes is still the most ethical choice, but what I wonder is if, as an artist, I would really care that much if I was only making $0.30 per song. In a way it's just as advantageous, if not more so, to have more people listening to your music even if they don't pay for it. It's like Game of Thrones - one of the most pirated TV shows ever, and they're kind of happy about it because of all the hype it generates when that many people are talking about and watching a show.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.