Wednesday 16 March 2016

Week 9: My idea of fun

Like many of my fellow classmates and bloggers, I mentioned in my introductory post that one of the reasons I took this class was simply because I knew I would enjoy it. In my final semester at the iSchool (and in school in general) it was important to me to learn about something and simply enjoy the process and discussion. I’m taking a similar approach to the final paper and trying worry less about its potential for publications or conference presentations and instead just considering a topic I know I will enjoy researching and writing about. And so, we come to my somewhat morbid fascination with anthropodermic bibliopegy, or books bounds in human skin.

I first stumbled upon this subject two years ago, when the Book History and Print Culture program posted this article on their Facebook page, about Harvard discovering three of their library books were ostensibly bound in human skin. To be clear, upon further testing it turned out they could only confirm that “at least one” book was legitimate. Since I first read that article, the practice has fascinated me and has been in the back of my mind. I tried to learn more wherever I could, but it wasn’t until late last year that I finally found an academic, scientific, contemporary source of information: the newly formed Anthropodermic Book Project. Even if, like many of the people I’ve spoken with, you find this practice “creepy” and “gross,” I encourage you to check out the site as I won't go into the full details of the project in this post.

What interests me about anthropodermic books in the context of this class is how, even more than regular tree books, their physicality is such an important part of how people interact with them. While simply imaging a book bound in human skin can be enough to make your own skin crawl, imagine the bodily sensation and subsequent emotional reaction of actually holding and touching one. In the simplest terms I will touch upon Hayles’s question, from the recommended reading "Translating Media: Why We Should Rethink Textuality," of how to even consider coding for the sensory experience of a book (p. 269). Overall I plan to take a more theoretical approach to the topic, exploring how and why anthropodermic books were made and the choices behind them. While accounts of these books are often preoccupied with their bindings, their content can be equally as fascinating as the choice to bind a book in human skin often had meaning, like creating a memorial object post mortem or a visible punishment for a crime, and I am interested in that connection. Other ideas I’m throwing around include considering Benjamin’s concept of Aura in connection to these objects, or more modern scholarship on ebooks and the body.  I’m still working out the finer details and the larger connections to themes from the class, but before you ask, with some trepidation, yes, Professor Galey luckily ok'd this rather macabre topic. 



Hayles, N. Katharine. "Translating Media: Why We Should Rethink Textuality." Yale Journal of Criticism 16 (2003): 263-90.

4 comments:

  1. Mia, this is awesomely creepy. What I'm most interested in here is the rationale behind binding in human skin. Not necessarily asking why someone would do this at all, but rather for what occasion. As you know from book history, there can be specific reasons for embellishing books in certain ways. You mentioned that the bindings could be chosen as a punishment, or as a memorial. It would be interesting to know when this seemed like an acceptable memorial (off the top of my head, I'm thinking 19th Century because they did all kinds of creepy things like hair wreaths). It would also be cool to find out if a human book was ever a symbol of status, or power, or if it was always somewhat taboo to own. I'd love to hear about your research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also became eerily fascinated by this when I read an article a couple of months back about it. There's also a blog post about anthropodermic books called "Fugitive Leaves" by the Historical Medical Library of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia that you might find interesting if you haven't already come across it:

    http://www.collegeofphysicians.org/histmed/skin-she-lived-in/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of the practice of anthropodermic bibliopegy until reading this blog post. I am both fascinated and dealing with my out-of-control goosebumps right now. I want to know first-hand what it's like to hold a book knowing it's bound in human skin, but the circumstances that will lead to me having this experience are questionable. I also want to know about the first person to come up with the idea. What kind of brain invents such a practice? I bet they were really smart and good at problem-solving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments! I'm glad you experienced eerie fascination or got creeped out.

    Chrissy - I will definitely let you know if I find out more about your questions of power and symbolism. As an aside though, could you still see it being an acceptable memorial today? Librarian to librarian...wouldn't it be cool to have an afterlife as a book?

    Angelique - thanks for the link, it was a fascinating read and gave me some more food for thought for this paper!

    Kate - I'd love to know why you think the first person to come up with this idea was "smart and good at problem solving." I agree, but I'm guessing some other people might think they were "dark and disturbed."

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.