Sunday 27 March 2016

Week 10: The Meaning of Ownership

I don't buy e-books very often. In fact, I think I've only ever bought two (the rest I have either borrowed or, um, obtained in other ways). One of these books was the most recent Outlander novel (I swear, I have decent taste in books, I just also...really like Scottish time traveling romance novels??). I just had to read it, and I couldn't find it in a library or in a bookstore. So I went on Amazon, and bought the e-book.

Of course, as Professor Galey has pointed out, Amazon made me download their Kindle reader for Mac. And then that meant that I had to remember what my Amazon account was, and whether I had updated my credit card on it from the last time I used it, etc etc. Then the book had to download, which took forever, and then when I opened it, some of the features (including family trees) were wonky; we've all discussed this song and dance of the e-book to death. Nevertheless, I read it, and then went back to re-read it.

The problem was when I went to buy my second ever e-book (...a book written by the authors of my favorite snarky fashion website, Go Fug Yourself, I know, I'm not doing my reputation any favors here) I totally forgot which Amazon account I had downloaded the first e-book from. On top of that, I somehow managed to download one as an actual e-book, and the other for use in the Kindle web interface. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the web interface book into the Kindle app, or the Kindle book into the web interface app.

Eventually, my computer went kaput and I had to get a new one. I have yet to download the Kindle reader app, probably because I haven't had the desire or time to read the 8th Outlander book (it's like 8 billion pages long.) I haven't logged into my Amazon account in a while to read the Go Fug Yourself book. So, it's almost as if I don't own these books anymore--I don't have access, which is just about as good as not actually having them. I'm sure legally I have the right to access some bits of code that translate into a book if I actually remembered my password, and the interface I was using, but it's not at all the same as being able to take a book, and then pop it in a suitcase and then move it to another house or another country. It's not like the format of the book will change--my novel won't suddenly morph into a picture book, for example. I'm not going to suddenly lose the ability to read, or  the ability to turn the pages of the book, or lose access by putting it on the wrong bookshelf that I can't reach.

The annoying part is, I'm probably going to have to re-download both books if I would like to read them, and really, if I'm going to be reading a book online at all, I'd rather read it in the iBooks app (I like things to be tidy.) Why does it have to be so complicated? I'm sure Amazon's web interface is there in the name of accessibility (so if you don't have the app, you can still reach the content, presumably), but it just made things worse for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julia! Your connection between accessibility and the software needed to read the works is something that I haven't considered before! I suppose I've been spoiled because I almost exclusively read e-books on a Kindle reader, where I can easily download content designed to be read on a Kindle, while syncing my progress to different applications of several devices. I hope once school is over (and you get a chance to read some great books) you can give e-books another shot. As much as I love printed books - - I really, really do - - it's much easier to transport a kindle holding twenty books on vacation than it is to cram ten novels into your stuffed suitcase. Hopefully you have more success and less confusion with e-books in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, your experience reminds me of my first experience buying an ebook--where I also had to download the Kindle for Mac app (before I had an iPad!). I was also frustrated--but for a different reason: for an academic paper that I was writing! The ebook, The Nick of Time: Politics, Evolution and the Untimely by Elizabeth Grosz, is a pretty labourous philosophical read and I became very frustrated with the highlighted capacities, note-taking, and searching features in the Kindle app for Mac! I've come not to mind reading for pleasure by way of ebook, but I have yet to read another ebook that required lots of note-taking and close reading due to my past experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, not to sound like a codger, but why can't I just have a print book? :( I want my pleasure reading experience to be stress-free, and the whole proprietary software thing is such a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.