Tuesday 1 March 2016

Week 7: Reading Habits

I enjoyed Maxwell’s use of Star Trek to discuss our expectations and preparation for the use of eBooks in the future, or rather, our present. While I agree with his assertion that in TNG Captain Picard is clearly portrayed as a reader, and while it is true that he is often seen reading from many tablet-like devices on the job (32), Maxwell skims over the fact that Picard often reads from our familiar codex book, even in the twenty-fourth century. In fact, a Google search for “Captain Picard reading” yields an equal number of images of him peering down at a hand held screen as those of him flipping through a print book. Having watched TNG it is also worth noting that Picard usually reads print books for pleasure, such as when he is depicted reading Shakespeare and other poets in his quarters during some rare downtime on the ship, or reading a novel on vacation. When he and other crewmembers are reading for work, however, they almost exclusively read from screens. I’m drawing attention to all of this because Picard’s reading habits and my own are quite similar.

I rarely, if ever, read for pleasure on screen. I most enjoy reading novels, essays, and short stories in my spare time, and I prefer to read all of these in a print book. This is perhaps simply a formed habit because I learned to read for this purpose in this format, and I associate the bodily sensations, the cliché of “curling up with a book,” with the mental process. Since I have been a grad student with very little time to read for pleasure, I am often reading to relax, in bed on a week night or on my couch on a lazy Saturday morning, and so I prefer not to associate these acts of reading with my laptop, where I do much of my reading for work or school.

Like my exclusive preference for print books and pleasure reading, I am equally dedicated to reading on a screen for school and work. I read essays, reports, or articles for school and work on my laptop and have done so since undergrad, and again this preference may have more to do with habit as I learned to effectively read and take notes about scholarly articles on a screen. I also find that this kind of reading often involves multitasking, such as note taking or cross referencing with other texts, and I find it easier and more organized to engage this process with multiple windows open on my virtual desktop than with multiple books spread across my physical desk. 

In thinking about this force of habit I identify in my reading preferences, I also wonder about readers from younger generations, and if their preferences might be more flexible. When I first learned to read, an activity akin to what I now think of as “reading for pleasure,” reading on screen wasn’t an option, but children learning to read these days can use both eBooks and tree books, and I wonder if, considering this week's blogging question as adults, they might not have a clear preference at all, and be the reading version of ambidextrous? Ambitextrous? (Sorry, couldn’t help myself).  

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that it will be very interesting to see how the kids growing up today will read - thanks for bringing this up! If they grow up using ereaders to read for pleasure, will this completely remove the nostalgia that plays a part in keeping so many of us tied to paper?

    Also thank you so much for using Picard as an example - he is perfect. I just finished rewatching (binge watching) the entire series on Netflix... can't believe I didn't think of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, I definitely identify with your reading categorization (screen for school/work and print for fun). I wonder if maybe we are constraining ourselves in this way not just because we learned to read in print but because it is necessary to draw the line between work and pleasure somewhere. For example, I remember my journalist cousin, at least a decade ago, telling me that because he read and wrote and edited all day, the only thing he read for fun was graphic novels. So maybe it's just important that we associate some format exclusively with relaxing?

    And to address both you and Kara, it's hard to tell what the youngest generation will be comfortable with but my impression through course discussions and public library work is that kids and teens still tend to like print books while older retirees were often interested in e-books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Chrissy, I'm intrigued by your observation about eBooks and generational interest. This past Christmas I was hanging out with my family and my Grandma, who is pretty tech savvy for a lady her age, was reading my little cousin, who is three, a book on his iPad and both of them knew exactly how to use it. So I suppose age can be a factor at times, but we are still in a place where many readers, regardless or age, feel comfortable with eBooks and tree books.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.