Thursday 21 January 2016

Week 2: Form & Perception

“And what is the use…of a book without pictures or conversations?”

At the risk of sounding trite because of its mass appeal in both scholarly research and popular culture, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is, and always will be, one of my favourite books of all time. I suspect that my first impression of Lewis Carroll’s Alice came from Disney with its fluorescent colours and memorable songs that mesmerized me as a child. It remains one of my favourites for this reason. But as I got older I realized that I really should read the book—the original text—if for no other reason than to say that I did. What captivated me from the moment I began to read it was the delicate balance and seamless relationship between text and image. Even before studying Art History I found myself compelled to images in the form of etchings, prints, drawings, cartoons and so on, in printed narratives.

The illustrated book is a form that to me represents a harmony between the imagination of the author and the vision of the artist. It offers the reader an alternative (though hopefully complementary) reading of the text. Like Darnton, I find this paratextual material to shape and colour my perceptions of a story. I am primarily drawn to the illustrations and proceed to thumb through the book until I’ve looked at each one before I even begin reading. I think of these illustrations as similar to the way using a highlighter emphasizes the takeaway points while simultaneously drawing your attention back to them. Alice is also one of the few books where I can vividly remember the act of reading, a memory I attribute to both my love of the story and my need for visualization.

Salvador Dalí, Advice From a Caterpillar, heliogravure with woodblock, 1969.
I’ve since explored numerous editions and variations of the work in search of subtle differences, and to examine the nature of a printed text in comparison to its digital counterpart. In fact, I recently discovered the 1969 edition illustrated by Salvador Dalí with 12 unique heliogravures. What a find! While I have only had the opportunity to look at these beautiful images reproduced online, I can immediately sense an entirely different experience of the story through them. So while I will always prefer a printed book rather than a digital reproduction/version, it’s not the physicality of the object that renders it interesting or curious or thrilling; it is the ways in which the text is complemented and gently moved along when it is accompanied by images.


Just to reinforce how much I enjoy this art form, I’ll end with a passage from the first issue of the Illustrated London News—a quintessentially Victorian sentiment—but one that has stuck with me every since I read it:

“Art […] has, in fact, become the bride of literature; genius has taken her as its handmaid and popularity has crowned her with laurels that only seem to grow the greener the longer they are worn.”


Another great resource that was brought to my attention, if you are an art lover like myself, is the website Artsy. The Salvador Dalí page has comprehensive information about the artist, his exhibitions, and his artworks!

References
Darnton, Robert. "'What Is the History of Books?' Revisited." Modern Intellectual History 4, no. 3 (2007): 495508.

"Our Address." Illustrated London News [London, England] 14 May 1842: [1]. Illustrated London News. Web. 21 Jan. 2016.

Various print & digital editions to explore

Carroll, Lewis, and John Tenniel. Alice's adventures in wonderland and Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there. London: MacMillan and Company, 1898. [Available at the Fisher]

Carroll, Lewis, and John Tenniel. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; and Through the Looking-glass. Complete in One Volume. New York: Illustrated Editions Company, 1964. [Available at Robarts]

Carroll, Lewis, and John Tenniel. Alice's adventures in wonderland and Through the looking-glass and what Alice found there. London: MacMillan and Company, 1894.

Carroll, Lewis, and Salvador Dalí. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. New York: Maecenas Press-Random House, 1969.

William Bennett Modern Gallery (Dalí’s Alice works)
http://www.williambennettmodern.com/artists/dali/portfolios/alice.php 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post! It's a great example of meaning mixing with form.

    I recently fell in love with Alice again last term when I did my final project on born-digital object for Professor Galey's bibliography course.

    Since it was the 150th anniversay of Alice in 2015, tons of different editions were available. I managed to score a re-print of the story with Dali's illustrations. I would strongly recommend reading that edition: the illustrations are truly mezmerizing and you can stare at them and always find/feel something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be really interested in what you found from your assignment last semester so perhaps we can discuss later! I also just ordered myself a reprint of the Dali version last night after posting. It will make an excellent addition to my (art) book collection.
    Also, I'm not sure if you'll be going on the ACA-ARLIS tour of the Fisher on Feb 9th, but they have an absolutely incredible collection of editions of Alice donated to them by a collector. It takes up almost half of one of the floors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelique, this is a really cool perspective. Illustrations are such an integral part of the experience of a book and it never occurred to me as a topic for this week. Imagery determines so much of how we interact with books - for example, deciding to buy (or not buy) a certain edition of a novel because it's a movie-tie in with actors on the cover. Your choice of Alice - moving on from the Disney images to the classic 19th century illustrations to Dali - in shaping your experience also reminds me of the way absence or presence of images totally alters the reading experiences for kids. For example, you have to fill in a lot of imaginative space in a book series like Harry Potter because you have no images except the cover. This was never the case with Alice because illustration was always embedded in the experience of looking at the text.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.