Thursday 11 February 2016

Week 5: Riding the Rocket

It comes to no surprise to anybody that I am unbelievably busy. Possibly because I am soft in the head, I took on a practicum in addition to the rest of my work and volunteering, and even worse, it's in Scarborough. (In my defense, it's a really cool practicum that is literally working on The Future of the Book--my main project involves working with the code behind digital scans of a 15th century Ethiopian manuscript, how cool is that?) But what it does mean is that I spend a lot of time in transit to and from UTSC, which takes an hour and a half each way. 

So, faced with an insane amount of transit time and a propensity towards motion sickness, I can't really read on the subway or the bus. What I end up doing is trying to mentally plot out assignments. Last week, I set myself the #transitchallenge of coming up with some examples for the encoding challenge. Unfortunately, faced with so much transit, the only thing I could come up with was the subway map.

But wait. What if I did do the subway map?
"How I See the TTC", http://imgur.com/UEtze3W

The opportunity for working with branches and intersecting lines is interesting, as is the opportunity to tag the different lines and stations. How to tag a station that fits on two lines (St. George, Spading, Kennedy, etc) would be a challenge, as would trying to make the code turn into something that serves the purpose of the subway map (i.e., a way for people to navigate the Toronto public transit.) Add in the streetcars, and it becomes even more of a mess. 

Unfortunately (fortunately) for me, my ride ended, and my partner (the incomparable Chrissy) came up with a much better idea: the Doves' Press Bible! So this will have to be shelved for another commute. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea and the challenges it poses! When you say it will be shelved for another commute, are you thinking you might just work on some encoding, in your abundance of spare time, for fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alternate Universe!Julia, who uses all her spare time productively and never gets tension migraines, is going to code this whole thing and then release an app and become a millionaire, obviously.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.